Our first blind grasp at what the first round might look like next June. I look forward to this being completely blown up by the new year, as a few prep bats and arms may begin their rise to the top. The rest of the 1st round follows the break.
1. Astros: Mark Appel, RHP (Stanford) – Stock is still plenty high. Not sure a prep bat can unseat him just quite yet.
2. Cubs: Clint Frazier, OF (Georgia HS) – The most polished of the top 3 prep bats. Definitely not short on tools. Who couldn’t use a ginger Mike Trout?
3. Rockies: Ryne Stanek, RHP (ASU) – Colorado has favored someone from the college ranks more often than not in recent history.
4. Twins: Austin Meadows, OF (Georgia HS) – Arguably one of the top 3 overall players, he will be hard to pass up.
5. Indians: Sean Manaea, LHP (Indiana State) – Following the Cleveland trend of taking college players in Round 1. A legit top-5 guy.
6. Marlins: Kris Bryant, INF (San Diego) – In my opinion the most valuable (and polished) college bat. Could still stick at 3rd as a pro.
7. Red Sox: Trey Ball, OF/LHP (Indiana HS) – Just tons of projection at both the plate and on the mound. Maybe another Casey Kelly situation here.
8. Royals: Jonathon Crawford, RHP (Florida) – He will go this high if he can miss more bats and shore up any control concerns.
9. Pirates (for Mark Appel): Kohl Stewart, RHP (Texas HS) – Definitely raw, but also definitely has the stuff. May just hinge on his delivery, and if a team believes he can clean it up as a pro.
10. Blue Jays: Ian Clarkin, LHP (California HS): Great stuff for a prep lefty. Just needs to make sure he throws strikes in the spring.
11. Mets: Robert Kaminsky, LHP (New Jersey HS)
12. Mariners: Marco Gonzales, LHP (Gonzaga)
13. Padres: Bobby Wahl, RHP (Ole Miss)
14. Pirates: Jon Denney, C (Oklahoma HS)
15. Diamondbacks: Colin Moran, 3rd (North Carolina)
16. Phillies: Reese McGuire, C (Washington HS)
17. Brewers: Stephen Gonsalves, LHP (California HS)
18. White Sox: Justin Williams, OF (Louisiana HS)
19. Dodgers: JP Crawford, SS (California HS)
20. Cardinals: Austin Wilson, OF (Stanford)
21. Tigers: Oscar Mercado (Florida HS)
22. Angels: Zach Collins, C/1st (Florida HS)
23. Rays: Michael Lorenzen, OF (Cal State Fullerton)
24. Orioles: Jacoby Jones, 2nd (LSU)
25. Rangers: Cavan Biggio, INF (Texas HS)
26. Athletics: Phillip Ervin, OF (Samford)
27. Giants: Andrew Mitchell, RHP (TCU)
28. Braves: Ryan Boldt, OF (Minnesota HS)
29. Yankees: Clinton Hollon, RHP (Kentucky HS)
30. Reds: Garrett Williams, LHP/INF (Louisiana HS)
31. Nationals: Aaron Judge, OF (Fresno State)